It had been a long time coming this camping trip. There was much
anticipation among both little people and the big. The camper (Matilda) had been inspected and declared fit for duty. The car (Terry)
likewise had been cleaned out and packed. We were ready at last to head off for a whole week without mobile phones, worries or cares, otherwise known as first world problems.
The ultimate plan was to meet up with friends Nic and Dave
from previous adventures at Yadboro flat for a night or two, before heading
south with the aim of making Bendethera valley, in Deua NP. Nic and Dave had joined us on several camping trips, however
this time a few changes were afoot. They
were bringing along their new baby, Isobel AND their hired Kimberley Kamper.
The only problem was the weather. As it is when you’re married to a
meteorologist, the weather is always bound to be at best ‘character
building’. The forecast looked
atrocious. 30-40mm of rain was
predicted for our first night, unpleasant but survivable. It
was the predicted wind gusts of up to 100km/h that was the most concerning. We had survived strong winds before, but would Matilda hold up to the strain?
Ultimately we figured that if we were to survive all the elements on our trip around in 2014, a little wind (or a lot) couldn’t put us off. The morning of our departure the weather front had arrived with howling winds and sideways rain lashing our house. We hesitated, was it worth it, or should we wait another day? It was thoroughly miserable weather for camping, and I offered Jo the chance to stay at home another day. She simply smiled and suggested we head off, and if it turns really horrible we could always come back.
Ultimately we figured that if we were to survive all the elements on our trip around in 2014, a little wind (or a lot) couldn’t put us off. The morning of our departure the weather front had arrived with howling winds and sideways rain lashing our house. We hesitated, was it worth it, or should we wait another day? It was thoroughly miserable weather for camping, and I offered Jo the chance to stay at home another day. She simply smiled and suggested we head off, and if it turns really horrible we could always come back.
So we went… wipers on, and headed east.
