Thursday 8 September 2011

Melbourne 4x4 Show

I had the pleasure of attending the worlds biggest toy store last weekend as part of the Melbourne 4x4 and Fishing Show.

What a collection of stuff - and how easy it would be to blow a couple of hundred grand in no time... Of course I had been sent without my credit card to avoid too many impulse buys :)

Over 35 000 people attended the show over the three days of the show. Thankfully Friday was a little quiet, so I was able to sneak away and check out some of the great gear on show.

I stopped in on the guys from Aussie Swag Campers to check out their new model. They now have a neat diesel heater in their 2011 model, and I think the changes they have made to the kitchen over the years has been fantastic. I enquired about putting a new kitchen box on our 2005 Aussie Swag, but with the changes up front adding too much tow ball weight, the whole axle has been moved forward about six inches. Hmm, too big a job for this punter.

I was allowed to have a good look over the Earth Cruiser , and was suitably impressed. As an expedition vehicle for a couple who want to tour the world it would be hard to go past. For a family, two additional side facing seats can be set up in the back, but the arrangement isn't ideal.

Conqueror Australia had set up a couple of their models at the show, but the pick for me was the UEV490 Evolution . This is the top of the line model with everything, and is priced accordingly!

From Blogger Pictures
Conqueror UEV490

I had a bit of a yarn with the fellas from Powerful 4x4 . They're a small company making accessories like bull-bars, rear bars and a whole heap of stuff. They were offering a "tour package" at the show that was really competitive and worth considering if you're decking out a new 4x4.

There were some very tricked vehicles, and I must admit having a good close look at the VW Amarok , which left me with favourable impressions. Early days yet for the little 2.0 litre, and will be waiting to see how it goes over the next few years before purchasing one. At the moment there is no snorkel or long range fuel tank option, but I am sure one won't be too far away. ARB has invested a lot in setting up some neat aftermarket gear for this dual cab ute, which is great to see for a new model.

The other truck worth checking out was the Toyota GLX Wagon 76 series. Nice looking truck with a go anywhere ability, but also a hefty price tag. Some nice examples were on display.

From Blogger Pictures
My two favourite vehicles at the show (after Terry of course!)

So what did I come home with?

I came home with a couple of plugs and leads from the very helpful fellas at Home of 12 Volt, and some air lock vacuum bags to keep food fresh on the road like these .

Oh and I dropped in and had a quick yarn with Graham from Australian 4WD Action magazine. Nice fella. Almost felt guilty for stopping our subscription ;)

From Blogger Pictures
Graham Cahill and Some Mug in front of Milo

No comments:

Post a Comment