Monday 11 February 2013

I think I can, I think I can

With the new set of wheels not arriving until the 11th hour, and a camping trip on the agenda not more than five minutes after it arrives, I was really looking forward to hooking up the camper and getting the new car nice and dusty on its first trip.  You know - Lee Kernaghan - "Baptise The Ute" style.

But then again - such a new toy needs the engine to be run in properly, so perhaps hooking up a camper that weighs the best part of a tonne or more probably wasn't the best idea. Well not on the first day at any rate.

We contemplated returning to our original camping set up.  The mighty Subaru Outback packed to the hilt, with the Oztent RV5 on the roof.  We enjoyed our first camping trip as a family with this set up, however I distinctly remembered everything becoming one big mess - and that wasn't just in the esky either.

About four nanoseconds later we realised the folly of that idea, and started thinking of alternatives.

I had a perfectly operational electric brake controller that I had removed from Terry in preparation of the trade...  hmmm, and the camper was looking particularly lonely in the shed.

Decision made:  We would take the mighty Subaru Outback AND Matilda!  

And why not.  The Subaru 2.5 litre model is rated to tow 1500kg with brakes.  It also has self leveling suspension, meaning it will ride nice and level, and lets face it - it has a larger engine capacity than the Amarok!  It is also dust and water proof - and until I get a canopy made for our tray back on the ute - will be much more convenient!

All set for the test run!
I spent a few hours last weekend installing the brake controller in the Subaru, and then gingerly hooked up the camper for a lap around the block.  The Subaru performed the test run perfectly.  All lights and more importantly the brakes worked as expected - which I found a great relief.  What we won't have is power to the Anderson Plug - but we will work around that by charging the batteries (and cooling the fridge) before we head off, and use the solar panel to keep things topped up for the weekend.

My only concern is that our little Suby now has over 200 000 km on the clock.  It can be a little hard to start when hot too, but when running, it is still a sweet drive.  We have towed some big loads of firewood before, so I have every confidence that we will be fine - but we will go gently to be sure - I need it to last at least another 200 000km!!!

If you don't hear from me next week, you'll know we are still out there somewhere!

1 comment:

  1. Good thing we set it up too.... The new car isn't going to be ready until AFTER the camping weekend.
    Plan B is always worth considering. No point in turning a lack of planning on my behalf into an emergnecy on behalf of the Dealer... I hate it when people do it to me!

    ReplyDelete