Tuesday 23 April 2013

Bullbar Installation - Amarok Style

With a long list of equipment and toys to be fitted to Rocky, saving a few pennies here and there is always a good thing.  One such opportunity arose when a second hand ARB bullbar came up for grabs.

After sitting in the shed for a couple of months, I finally got around to organising a day for fitting the bullbar.  Now with such a big job - I figured I would be wise to have a helper.  In fact, I would be really wise to enlist the help of someone who knows what their doing, so I could be their helper.  Andrew was indeed that man, without whose help I could not have fitted the bar.

The ARB instructions are available online - so we printed them out and followed them.  Overall it went really well - except for a few minor bits missing.  Ever resourceful, Andrew had enough bits in his shed to keep the fitting on track.

The bumper off shows a lot of plastic and foam!

Bumper put back on, after the big cut!

I was pretty happy with it all, with the exception of the fog lights.  The bar didn't come with any lights fitted, and I assumed that the Amarok's lights would fit straight in.  Sadly this was not the case. After finding out an ARB fog light kit was $375, I decided to have a cup of coffee and a pause for thought.

I rummaged in the shed and after bit more thinking time, I fabricated some brackets to fit the original fog lights into the ARB bar.  After testing to confirm they are aimed nice and low, I declared the job finished!



Now - if only I had a winch to fit in that big hole in the bar!  Oh well, back to fitting out the canopy!

3 comments:

  1. I since bought a pair of ARB fog lights for $70. They fitted straight into the existing brackets and are easy to adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mate would you care to share how you did the fog light brackets? I'm about to do the same thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karl, it is far easier to fit the ARB lights into the brackets. My previous attempt wasn't pretty - despite being functional it was a pain to fit. The ARB lights pop in.

    ReplyDelete