Wednesday 15 May 2013

Fitting Out the Canopy for Camping

It seems that the closer we are to leaving, the more and more things there are to do… and somehow the time available to do them decreases exponentially.  After lining the canopy with carpet to reduce sweating, it was time to make the space useful.

For those who are interested, our canopy was made by Made 2 Order Toolbox in Melbourne, (www.m2otoolbox.com.au) and I am thrilled to bits with it.  

Thus last weekend I decided it was time to make a concerted effort to fit out the canopy in a useful and flexible way.  The real trick was to make it fit the equipment we have – in a snug way, whilst providing the option of carrying awkward or odd shaped items with minimum fuss.  It is worth noting that although we will be travelling with ‘Matilda’ – our camper trailer next year – we want to set the ute up to be able to camp independently too.

And so it was time to start turning electricity into noise, and plywood into sawdust. 

Measure twice, cut once... or something like that!

One of the many concept drawings
The basic concept was to have the right hand side of the ute fitted out with a multi – function space, whilst the left set up with a kitchen and space for the esky (or provision for a fridge).  The initial concepts  were sketched out and mulled over for a while – but ultimately it came down to experimentation, trial fitting and command approval from Jo.

Now it is worth pointing out that my lovely wife will tend to try to plan things to the smallest detail, before starting.  I tend to start work – and figure it out as I go along.  This usually means we need to compromise and meet somewhere in the middle – and on this occasion we were able to come to an arrangement that we are both happy with... I think!

The false floor is fitted - with the right hand side hinged

Design Meeting
The biggest difficulties we faced was working out how to stow the canopy jack-off legs, and how to arrange the kitchen – but I think with a bit of trial and error – we will get there.  The basic concept is now in place.


The Little Helper - adept with a screw driver and face painting!

Slots are cut to help position the legs - before strapping and wrapping in foam.

Oh, and did I mention we have power.  Not only do we have a 100 amp hour battery charged by Rocky as we travel, but we have a 1000 watt inverter to provide 240 volt AC current to charge laptops, printers and so on.  We also have 12 volt DC current available in the form of Hella Plug, Anderson Plug or standard cigarette lighter, as well as LED lighting throughout.  The cabling is all fused, and in addition everything feeding off a 100 amp circuit breaker which can also be opened to isolate all power. 

We have power!
The battery is charged by the car alternator, but our camper’s solar panel can be plugged in, if required to supplement the second battery.
The second battery is isolated from the main car battery with a REDARC voltage sensitive relay, but it also is fitted with an over-ride switch, so that if the car battery is flattened, I can jump start the car of the canopy (or camper) batteries if available. I am a big fan of redundancy – and hope that I have enough built into the circuitry to meet most eventualities.

Under the bonnet - dual battery cabling and isolation
And then it was back to geting the kitchen set up - and this was perhaps the most critical of it all.  Jo and measured her containers and gave me a 5mm tolerance for my cutting... a little too tight for my comfort. 

And so it was more thinking and more design work - before we came up with a design we hope will work for us.
I think she likes it... so far

All that is left to do is fit the bench

We have made the space for the esky big enough to fit a 40 litre fridge - but for now it also snugly fits our esky - and a 20 litre water jerry.  We will probably leave it in this configuration for now - and see if it works for us. If it doesn't, I can change it, but I fear that any changes now will be minor tweaks rather than major revisions.

But for now it seems to tick all the right boxes - and we will see how it goes. 

Next up - installing an awning!

*UPDATE October 2013*
So the past few months have seen us trying a few different options in the back.  We initially used an esky, but soon found an Aldi fridge proved the concept of the benefit of having a dedicated fridge in the back, so we hunted around and found a 12v compressor fridge on ebay. 


The kitchen is perfect for a quick stop on the side of the road.  Lunch can be easily made and everythnig accessed.  I don't have a tap or water in the back, other than in a 20 litre jerry - but this is something we are considering after our trip, where we hope to do more car based camping.


The awning is a great size, allowing food to be prepared AND a table and chairs for the family to be set up in shade. 

We have elected not to take the jack-off-legs with us when we travel, as they add about another 100kg to the weight we will be carrying, and we will be very unlikely to go anywhere without our canopy on the back.  It does open up the shelf on the right hand side for many other options - it is just a shame the canopy is only 1800mm long... and I an 1870mm! It works if I am on my own... just... on a diagonal!

The double swag - perfect for width... length can be a problem!

**UPDATE December 2014**

After 12 months of travelling and over 50 00km on a lot of dirt roads, the canopy has been outstanding.  It has remained dust proof, waterproof and has made camping so easy.  With careful packing we were able to keep all the most commonly used things close a hand thanks to the large gull-wing doors.  

I cannot recommend the guys at Made2Order Toolbox enough for the quality of their workmanship.  This canopy lived up to and beyond all expectations.  Check their gear out here:  www.m2otoolbox.com.au

It lived up to all we threw at it!

6 comments:

  1. looks good. well done. i am in the process of fitting and kitting out my canopy ute for camping. i am a big fan of recycling and am repurposing 2 bookcases for storeage and an elevated bed. totally symathise re the ltd room for sleeping - mine is 1600 long and 1850 wide so i too am only able to sleep on a diagonal. i am in the process of setting up a facebook and you tube channel to document progress. all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,
    i have read through most of your blogs, and they are great. I have a few questions in regards to your canopy - now you've had it for a while and put it through its paces!
    im just about to go down the same path, with an alloy 2 door canopy. ive got several quotes in front of me, including one from M20.
    Mine will be for work and play - ill be spending 5 months on stations in western qld and the NT, so dust proof is a must!
    Does your canopy have vents, and if not, how does your fridge handle the heat inside the canopy on a hot day? if i get vents installed, im worried about dust getting in.
    im undecided as to whether i go down the jack off capable canopy or not. how often does yours come off? i noticed you decided not to take the legs on trips - they sure are bulky and heavy.
    have you attached to the tray using over centre catches? how did these handle corrugations?
    ill probably come up with more questions, but would appreciate your input!!
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rick, Our canopy was dust proof - which I was thrilled with. I have no vents, although I thought about installing something with an air filter to create a positive pressure in the canopy to keep dust out.
    I reduced the radiant heat by lining the canopy with marine carpet. I glued it to the top, bottom and sides with a two pack product.
    It did get hot inside - but the fridge seemed to mostly cope. When we were camped, the doors were often open. Even with vents, I figured it would still get hot inside.
    The centre over catches worked a treat - no problems with the corrugations. I have a rubber mat in the tray that the canopy sits on which I think helps.
    Now I am home, the canopy is often off the car. I guess I change configuration fortnightly. With the roof rack on, I can't fit it under the carpark at work, and as I haven't re-registered my trailer yet, I keep taking the canopy off for tip runs.
    Good luck with your choice - I am still impressed with the workmanship of M2O. Just tell them where you're taking it - our doors were double sealed.

    Cheers
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Phil, How did you get your power supply from your vehicle to your canopy. Did you install a plug system to make canopy removal easy.

    Cheers Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eric,
    I installed a 50 amp anderson plug on the head board. On the canopy I used another anderson plug, that has about 10 centimetres free play. This provides power to the internal battery. I used a couple of plugs from JayCar to seal the penetration through the canopy.
    When I take the canopy off, I just have to unplug the canopy. I do have to make sure I don't crush the wires when putting the canopy back on!

    ReplyDelete