Tuesday 24 September 2013

Kanangra Walls - Boy's Weekend Escape - Close to Sydney

Sometimes it takes a woman to get a bunch of blokes together for a weeekend away.  My wonderful wife had succeeded where we had failed and managed to select a weekend for a group of old friends to get together and designate an official Big Boys Weekend!

The passage of time had seen us go to school together, cut our teeth in the big smoke, before dispersing.  As we all have children now, fitting a little time for our own friends is rarer and rarer as our social lives increasingly revolve around our children's schooling / sporting / music / scouting interests.

We met at the Boyd River Campground, in Kanangra-Boyd National Park, as it was almost the exact same distance for all four of us to travel to, from north, south and east.  As we all started closing on the park, the weather was looking pretty ominous.  It was about 3 degrees and raining sideways, when the suggestion that we bail and head to the Oberon Pub was mentioned...  but being tenacious males, we decided to persevere.

And I'm so glad we did. The weather cleared as soon as I arrived, and continued to improve all weekend.



Boyd River Camp



Boyd River Camp

I arrived first, and quickly reserved a spot.  It was a new style of camping for me - with nothing but a swag and the ute.  I wasn't there long when the boys arrived, and we enjoyed a few ales catching up.

The following morning, we were greeted with one of the locals, before we went out to visit the Kanangara Walls

Meeting one of the locals for breakfast

 
The Kanangra Walls are spectacular

And then we went for a little drive


Descending into Morong Creek


Morong Creek Trail


Kowmung River on the way to Dingo Dell
It was good to get the trucks into low range and drop down to the Kowmung River.  Again it became increasingly apparent to me, that most modern 4WD vehicles will get to nearly all the best campsites in their standard guise.  Indeed if we were going anywhere rougher - you would have to ask yourself why are you bothering!

So the ute.  I tried a new concept - sleeping in the back.  Unfortunately I have to admit it wasn't the best night sleep.

Having slept in plenty of small bunks at sea, I had no drama climbing in, and it didn't rock or move - which was handy.  Unfortunately the tray is only 1800mm long... and at last measure I am 1870mm tall!  If I tried hard - I could stretch to full length across the diagonal - and this was barely adequate at best.  Definitely an option - but not one I would willingly choose again.   As a bonus, I was deliciously warm!

OK - if your under 6 feet tall!

1 comment: