Sunday 11 December 2016

A few nights in the Victorian High Country - and a broken Amarok

Every now and then the moon and stars and moon align, and I get the opportunity to take off for a couple of nights with the guys who introduced us into four wheel drive touring.  This is a part of Australia that we have not spent much time exploring, and I was looking forward to changing that.  I also knew I was in good company.  These guys have forgotten more about four wheel driving than I'll ever learn - and I was eager to pick up some tips.

Jo had given me a leave pass for a few nights, so I packed the car with essentials for a solo few nights.  A swag, some beer and a ten minute run around Aldi had me stocked with enough food for the adventure.  

Jo's only instruction: "Don't break Rocky!"  

I confidently assured her that I wouldn't do anything silly and would bring the car back in tip top condition in a couple of days....  How wrong I was!


The Amarok was in company with some pretty serious four wheel drives.  Pete K was in his faithful Patrol wagon, and travelling with him was Pete T - the designated photographer of the trip.  Steve was in a Patrol ute, and Howard had his Toyota.  They all had much bigger wheels and shorter wheelbases that me.  That said, I was pretty confident I would be able to follow the other vehicles most places over the next few days.



The others were all veteran explorers of the high country.  They put together an amazing driving trip over the next few days.  The scenery was spectacular, and we visited iconic parts of the high country, including Swifts Creek, Dargo, Talbotville and the Wonnangatta Valley.  These are names that only mean something once you have been there, but I am so glad we went.


A large part of this area was mined for gold during the 1860's.  Evidence of the efforts of the early miners include some old machinery scattered in the bush.  At Two Creeks, a cutting was hand dug by Chinese miners to bring water closer to the workings.


Our camps were on crystal clear streams, and if you know what you are doing, you might just land a trout or two.  We didn't know what we were doing though - so just enjoyed the serenity that comes from listening to a babbling creek whilst catching up with mates.



The country is spectacular, and Pete and Howard put together a fantastic run.  The vegetation changed markedly from the valley floors to the ridge tops - and occasionally massive vistas would open up.



The driving was mostly easy well maintained fire trails.  There were some steep low range climbs and descents, which the Amarok handled with aplomb.  I had let the tyres down, which gave plenty of traction and smoothed out most of the bumps, giving a luxurious ride.  The Amarok is comfortable. The only issue I had was scraping the belly on some of the steeper erosion control mounts - but as I stepped over most of them at less than a walking pace, we had no new marks on the car.  The other guys had no problems at all.


Our final track in the High Country was the Twin Jeeps Track.  After a short scrabble to the top, we meandered along the ridge line almost to Mount Hotham.


The views were amazing, and it was a wonderful way to wrap up our time on the trails. It was on the blacktop that our problems started...




Heading into Bright for second breakfast, Howard noticed a problem with his steering.  A couple of bolts had worked loose, but Howard was able to quickly have his car repaired.  He is a fount of knowledge when it comes to the workings of four wheel drives (and cars generally).

My problems were about to begin.

Heading from Bright into Wodonga, the Amarok threw the serpentine belt off - or more correctly, it shredded it.  The immediate impact was a loss of power steering, air conditioning and alternator - unlike the last time it did this when it managed to destroy the engine as well - see here: http://project2014australia.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/returning-south-was-not-so-easy-our.html

I usually carry a spare belt - but didn't on this trip.  The modified timing cover had protected the timing belt as designed, and the engine was undamaged.  To be honest I was just thankful that the engine hadn't been destroyed.

So the decision was made to drive it to the VW dealer in Wodonga, and fit a new belt.  We made it without too much drama - the voltage slowly dropped, however the car was still functioning.  The dealer inspected the front end before we put the belt on, and advised that the tensioner pully was out of alignment...  Without a new one in stock (or anyone who could look at the car for a few days), I decided that it was best to leave the car for a proper inspection, than tempt fate and drive it home.

And so that is where we are at.  I have yet to hear from the dealer at Wodonga as to what the damage is, or the repair cost will be.

Apparently VW have developed a 'robust pulley kit' for the Amarok, whatever that means.  It would seem that the 'robust kit' was not fitted when our tensioner pulley failed last time.  We are also two months past the "two years parts warranty" for the fitted components... bugger.

I will keep you posted.

** Update 12 December **

After discussions with the dealer and my regular mechanic it seems that some of the serpentine belt strands have destroyed the power steering pump.  So the repair will run close to $2k.

My mechanic said I was lucky that the belt didn't destroy the timing - even with the re-designed cover it can still happen - and results in a very expensive rebuild.  He did tell me that the Amaroks are susceptible to damage because they don't have a full plastic cover under the engine like the other cars with the same engine.  The Amarok is fitted with a steel bars and a small plastic cover, about 100 mm wide, under the radiator just to protect the serpentine belt from debris. It seems that debris can cause the belt to disintegrate.

I knew exactly which plastic cover he was talking about.  It was dislodged during our last adventure and is sitting in my shed at home.

The dealer, when I asked about the cover had no idea it existed....   Double thumbs up to the mechanic!

Damn I hate gaining experience in such an expensive way :(

But Pete did make an excellent video:




Update 20 December

So the car was repaired - but rattled heavily at idle and the power steering pump squeals at full lock.  It is going back in for a check up next week.  Grrr...    There are over two thousands reasons for me to expect it to be perfect when I picked it up.  I think there is a significant design flaw in the design of the tensioner pulley casing.  It's spring loaded mechanism that causes it to rattle on corrugated roads (or at idle too apparently).  This flogs out the casing, causing it to come out of alignment and throw the belt.

Verdict on the plastic cover near the radiator - the dealer recommended me NOT to fit it.  His theory was it collects grass seeds and is a fire hazard.  I also had a look and cannot see how it would stop anything hitting the serpentine belt.

In the mean time, I'll be replacing the pulley every 60 000km - unless it destroys itself first.

No comments:

Post a Comment